Going to college and getting a degree can be a big task to complete–and so is playing a college sport. It can often be hard to balance both and be successful both on the field and in the classroom. But here at Nyack College, we are given support so that we can succeed in our education and in our sport. Many people don’t understand the hard work, long hours, and dedication that stand behind the title “Student-Athlete.” Athletes are just known as the people who walk around campus all day in sweats. But when you are an Student-Athlete at Nyack, that word means so much more to you.
- It means hard work. Being a Student-Athlete requires working hard both in and out of practice. It requires pushing our bodies and minds further than we ever thought we could. It also requires diligence in the small things like being on time, stretching and icing, or doing each homework assignment.
- It means sacrifice. Not only are we sacrificing our time, we also are sacrificing our bodies. The choices that we make affect not only ourselves, but our whole team. We serve each other, love each other, and make sacrifices for the good of the team.
- It means no free time. Free time? What does that mean? Between practices, classes, lifting, studying, running, watching game tape, and trying to find somewhere in between to eat and sleep, our lives are pretty busy.
- It means playing for something greater. We play for our families, for Nyack, and because we love the sport or love our teams. But even bigger than all of those reasons, we play to honor God. As a Nyack Student-Athlete, we represent not only our school, but also our God. This is the greatest reason there is to play hard and study harder.
- It means sweat and tears. Getting into shape and becoming a better athlete requires long hours and hard work. Not to mention the diligence it takes to study for a hard test. We are training our bodies and minds daily, something that is not easy. This requires perseverance, dedication, and a lot of sweat and tears along the way.
- Ultimately, it means a sweeter victory in the end. The harder the challenge, the sweeter the victory. Because we invest so much in our sports, when we have success, it means so much more. Winning a game, acing a test, or beating a record all matter so much more to us because we know the long hours of preparation we put in to achieve that goal.
When it comes down to it, as challenging as it is to be a Student-Athlete, I wouldn’t trade it for anything. At the end of a long day, there is no better feeling than knowing that I worked my heart out so that I have the opportunity to get an education and play a sport I love for a God I love.