One of the unique benefits of a small liberal arts college like Nyack is the opportunity to get to know your professor outside of the classroom. You’re probably asking yourself why it’s important, and how do I go about getting to know my professor.
Professors are more than researchers and lecturers; they each have real life experiences to share. Your college professors can be one of your biggest assets. They can help you succeed academically and prepare you for life after college. There are various studies that have shown that college students, who make an effort to engage their professors outside of the classroom setting, are more likely to succeed in college. Below are some reasons why you should build a relationship with your professors:
– You will see that they are really captivating
– Once you create a great impression, your professor is more likely to help you with a question or later request
– They can help answer any questions and or concerns you may have for upcoming exams
– They can also clarify what was discussed during the class discussions and lectures
– They can be helpful to you when considering career plans or graduate school
– They can write a letter of recommendation for jobs and internships as well as for graduate school
– They can also serve as your mentor or help assist you in finding career and internship opportunities
Many students feel intimidated when it comes to approaching their professors. Your professors want to see you succeed as a student, but they can only help if you take the initiative. It is important to understand that they are very interested in talking with you and getting to know you. Below are some tips on how to take the initiative in building a relationship with your professors:
– Introduce yourself at the end of your first class
– Address your professor based on their preference: Is it by their first name? Or is it “Professor” or “Doctor”?
– Attend class regularly
– Don’t be late!!
– If an emergency arises that causes you to miss class, be sure that you are able to get notes from a classmate
– Always come to class prepared!
– Sit toward the front of the class
Another great way to start building a relationship with your professor is by going to their office hours. Yes, your professor may be extremely busy but professors are required to have set hours each week to meet with students. You should definitely take advantage of this! Surviving college especially as a freshman or as a transfer can seem insurmountable. But don’t worry, read our tips for success in college.