It’s crazy that we share the same world. I overheard a woman from one of our teams say this when sharing different cultural norms she’d encountered already in Thailand. I love this phrase because it so perfectly sums up what I’ve been feeling during my short time here. In high school, I spent a few scattered weeks around South and Central America which gave me my first glance of how people live in different countries. For some reason I had this expectation that coming to Asia would be similar, but I was definitely wrong in my thinking. It doesn’t even make logical sense to compare these places after being here and experiencing just a little bit of this unique culture. Mostly I have realized that each place is beautifully unique and also that God is incredibly creative.
Basically, I have come to believe that everyone should pack up their bags at one point in their life and take a trip to Thailand. But, if you never make it here let me share some cool things I’ve been able to experience already in my short time here:
1. They literally eat rice at every meal. If you are a rice fanatic than this is surely the home for you.
2. It’s bloody hot. At Least that’s how my intern director describes it so if you’re sick of winters in New York spend a summer in Thailand to appreciate the sweet white goodness.
3. At least where I am there are markets all over the place. Food, clothes, coffee, and more for way cheaper than you can buy stuff in the States.
4. Public transit is readily available and easy to pick up a ride into town.
5. The people are incredible. Honestly, Thailand has some of most polite people even in the craziest of situations. The people alone are worth coming to here to get to know.
6. There are so many different things to try and do. My time here will be filled with markets, professional soccer games, visiting an elephant camp, seeing ancient temples, cultural dinners, and so much more.
7. For most people, the food alone will draw them here with many saying Thailand has some of the best food in the world. I have been able to try many new things that are not only Thai, but cuisine from around the world.
8. All in all Thailand is a beautiful place, full of culture and an amazing variety of people to meet and new things to do and I would encourage any traveler to add this amazing country to their bucket list!