There are several things things that most colleges across the country have in common: crowded cafeterias, groups of friends , professors, classes, and the like. One attribute that makes Nyack stand out from all the others is the strong, ever-present sense of Christian community. As I was in the caff. with a group of friends this week, I noticed the girls at the table beside us were laying hands on each other and praying. Amidst bustling students, and the clatter of plates, these girls were gathered together before the Lord.
I don’t know what they were praying about nor what prompted the spontaneous prayer session, but what struck me most about the event was that it did not catch me by surprise. If I had seen this my freshman year, it would have caught me off guard; but my time at Nyack has accustomed me to this strong community of Christians who don’t just claim to love Jesus, but live it out by loving each other.
This sense of Christian community is fostered by all facets of Nyack college:
- The small class sizes help students get familiar with one another, and since Nyack is a walking campus, students will pass by their classmates often outside of the classroom.
- The professors of Nyack College are very easy to get in touch with and also very approachable.
- Having chapel three times per week draws students together to learn and worship together in order to nurture a community mindset.
- The Residence life team intentionally fosters community by hosting regular floor, and dorm-wide events.
- The bulletin board outside of the Student Development offices gives students a place to offer and ask for carpool opportunities. The idea that students will offer to give rides to strangers, and others feel comfortable catching rides from students they have never met says a lot about the trust and love in the Nyack College community.
So, if you’re an alum, know that Nyack still has that great community of believers that most likely drew you to Nyack and kept you there through the years. If you are a current student, be thankful to live in a place that is so close to kingdom fellowship. Most importantly, if you are a prospective student (or parent of one) know that Nyack will love you. Nyack College is filled with people who, though flawed, do know how to love on each other. At the end of the day, I have found that my fellow students know more about being a community than any group of people I have ever found myself in contact with.