With finals this week it is easy to become overwhelmed with all the studying, papers, and projects that need to be done before you can officially say you are on summer break. Even though the semester will be over in less than 7 days, it feels as though there is a month’s worth of work standing between you and handing in that final exam. Although these next few days will be stressful and a lot of work, here are some things that can help you make it through:
- Find a quiet place to study= Whether it be the library, Starbucks, Barnes and Noble, or at your desk in your room, make sure that you have a place dedicated to just studying. That way, whenever you go there, you will train yourself to be able to focus on your school work and be productive.
- Take breaks= Everyone gets worn out from studying for hours and hours on end. After sitting in one spot, it often feels like you aren’t even absorbing what you are studying, or the quality of the work you are doing is decreasing. If you like short breaks, take a five minute break every hour, or if you need to study for long periods of time, study for three hours then take an hour break. Either way, it will help you to clear your head and come back to study focused.
- Clearly separate study time and break time= We all do it. Sit down to study and then get up 3 hours later realizing that half of the time we were “studying” we were actually on Instagram or Facebook. Set apart blocks of time to study, and actually study during them. Then set apart blocks of time to take a break and go do something fun.
- Study in groups= Many studies show that the best way to learn information is actually by teaching it to someone else. Or, sometimes it’s more helpful to learn when you hear the information in someone else’s words explaining it to you.
- Get enough sleep= As cliché as it sounds, sleep really will help you to be able to focus, and to be able to put the energy you need into doing well on finals.
- Eat nutritious meals= This sounds basic, but if you are using energy, you have to get it from somewhere. So make sure you eat more than Ramen and candy over the next few days.
Summer will be here soon and then you can go on to enjoy the break, forgetting that you ever read this article. But until then, study hard and happy finals week.