With spring coming soon, that means nice weather is coming too and it is time to get outside. Rockland County, New York is a beautiful place to be in the spring, with lots of things to do outdoors. So while you are here over the next few months, take a break from studying and try one of these things here in Rockland County.
- Go to sports games. During the spring, Nyack has four different teams playing: baseball, softball, women’s lacrosse, and track and field. Whether the games are on campus, or at nearby sports complexes, it is always fun to cheer on the Warriors. We athletes also appreciate it and it always motivates us to play harder and represent our school well.
- Attend a street fair. Downtown Nyack has a street fair each month, in which local vendors set up tents to sell items or support causes. You can buy food, clothing, handmade items, and support local businesses. The dates of the street fair this spring are April 12th and May 17th.
- Take a hike. Rockland County is filled with nature and there are tons of different hiking trails to explore. If you want to go for an easy walk with great views you can go to places like Nyack Beach, the trail in downtown Nyack, or Rockland Lake. If you are looking for a real hike, try Hook Mountain, Buttermilk Falls, or Tackamack Town Park. These hikes have great views, many overlooking the Hudson. If you want a longer and more challenging hike, you can always travel a little further north to Bear Mountain. It is a little bit of a drive, but definitely worth it!
- Go to the Nyack Farmer’s Market. The Farmers Market is held downtown every Thursday morning from 8am-2pm. You can find locally grown fruits and vegetables, milk, cheese, bread, and even some pies and cookies. There’s nothing quite like fresh fruits and vegetables when you are away from home cooked meals.
- Explore towns along the Hudson. There are so many different old and quaint river towns like Nyack, Tarrytown, Sleepy Hollow, Tappan, and Piermont . These towns are not only full of history, they also have interesting shops to explore, sights to see and places to just hang out. Most are within a 10-15 minute drive or are right across the Tappan Zee Bridge. If you want to get off campus and see what is in the area, these are the towns to visit.